Welcome to Year 4
Together, We Learn and Grow in God's Love
Class teacher: Mr J Briggs
Teaching Assistant: Mrs Smithson
Teaching Assistant: Mrs McKenna
This is a very different way of starting the term but it has been lovely getting to see all the progress everyone is making in their home learning and I look forward to seeing your work at the end of each day. Although we aren't all in school together, I am looking forward to teaching you about Climate Change, Electricity, Sketching and Setting Descriptions as well as Length and Perimeter. Please use the website to help you with your learning at home as well get to see what we have all been doing.
Remember to keep up to date with all the government guidelines and stay safe.
Have a look at what we have been getting upto in class recently. All our home learning is supported by what we do in school and gives us an opportunity to practice what we have learnt or learn more at home.
This week, our challenge is to draw a partner but only using 3 colours. This can be done any way you want whether that's using pavement chalk, paints or pencil crayon. If you can't bring your work to the meeting, please ask your Mums and Dads to take a photo of it and send it to me on classdojo.
Try practicing them by using the activities below.
Basic Skills at Home
These activities can all be used at the beginning of your day. There are a variety of things to get your day started so find what works best for you.
TTrockstars is probably our most used website as a class. We use it twice a week in class and is an incredibly useful website for improving times tables which is fundermental for progress in maths. Children have their login details in their home learning books and I can check how every child has got on from home. They should complete a sound check, accept my challenges then can use the studio to try and improve their speed.
5 minute workout
Global warming is an important issue in the world today. The ice-caps are melting.
- What does this mean?
- What are the consequences of this happening?
- Should we be acting to stop this from happening?
These sentences are ‘sick’ and need help to get better. Can you help? Could you add an adverb?
- It was a cloudy day.
- The water was cold.
- The ice broke up.
- The house split in half.
Think about what has caused the ice to break up and melt. Can you draw something you have imaged?
- Hindu Gods Differentiated Reading Comprehension Activity.pdf
- Armed Forces Day Differentiated Reading Comprehension Activity.pdf
- Fossils Differentiated Reading Comprehension Activity.pdf
- Sun Safety Reading Comprehension Activity.pdf
- Pet Care of a Cat Differentiated Reading Comprehension Activity.pdf
- Pet Care of a Hamster Differentiated Reading Comprehension Activity.pdf
- Garden Birds Differentiated Reading Comprehension Activity.pdf
- Roald Dahl Differentiated Reading Comprehension Activity.pdf
- FA Cup Differentiated Reading Comprehension Activity.pdf
- Pet Care of a Bearded Dragon Differentiated Reading Comprehension Activity.pdf
- Pet Care of a Dog Differentiated Reading Comprehension Activity.pdf
- Wimbledon Differentiated Reading Comprehension Activity.pdf
- The Story of Arachne Ancient Greece Differentiated Reading Comprehension Activity.pdf
- Carnival Differentiated Reading Comprehension Activity.pdf
- Pet Care of a Guinea Pig Differentiated Reading Comprehension Activity.pdf
- The London Marathon Differentiated Reading Comprehension Activity.pdf
- Treasure Island Differentiated Reading Comprehension Activity.pdf
- Oliver Twist Differentiated Reading Comprehension Activity.pdf
- Tour de France Differentiated Reading Comprehension Activity.pdf
- St Patricks Day Story Differentiated Reading Comprehension Activity.pdf
- Usain Bolt Biography Differentiated Reading Comprehension Activity.pdf
- The Gunpowder Plot Differentiated Reading Comprehension Activity.pdf
Maths at Home
After starting your day on TTRockstars, make sure you then apply your skills on one of our maths websites. We have been using mathletics throughout the year but if you do any work on Eedi, I can mark it and give your feedback. Have a look at the problem of the week and the documents below if you need any extra practice.
Mathletics is a maths website where I will set children work weekly based on what we have covered in class. I will be able to check how each child has done with the previous week's work and set th following week's work accordingly.
Eedi is a new website for year 4 and provides a set of questions each week with different answers. Children have to select the right answer but then explain why this is the right answer. I can view their answers and give them individual feedback on each incorrect answer.
White Rose Maths
White Rose Maths is the scheme of work we follow in school so you should be familiar with the styles of questions. This is a really useful website as they provide videos for how to do the concept then questions for you to practice. Once you have used this, look for the same topic on mathletics. The worksheets for each lesson will be uploaded in the documents block below.
Problem of the Week
Use these resources to print for extra practice at home.
Our Faith is central to everything we do at Sacred Heart. During this time when our school is closed, everything is different and things seem a bit strange our prayers and faith can help us be connected to each other and provide comfort and peace.
Visit the Our Faith page on the virtual school to find some links to ways to stay connected to what we would be doing in school; ways to pray; ideas of things to do at home; celebrations of things pupils have done and a message board for any intentions that you would like to make for our school community to pray for.
Science at Home
Each week, there will be a science challenge as well as links to science online. It is entirely upto you which afternoon you do this and you can present your work however you want. Remember to send pictures on classdojo so we can keep updating our website.
11am Science with Maddie Moate https://www.youtube.com/user/maddiemoate
History and Geography at Home
Each week, there will be a history and geography task for you complete. Similiar to science, it is entirely upto you which day of the week you do these and you can present your work however you want.
You will also find an Art and Design activity set each week which will hopefully give you a super creative way to break up your week. I hope through doing these, some of you are inspired to have a go at your own original pieces of work. Please share these with me on classdojo so we can try and create our own virtual art gallery.
Practicing mindfullness is very important during these stressful times. It helps to put things in perspective and allows us to see things in a different way. Each week, I will upload a different challenge to help you relax at home and there will always be colouring sheets or you to print.
Turn the TV off ... Sit down as a family ... and discuss this week's picture news. We use these in our learning every Friday afternoon.
Please use this space to ask questions about home learning or how to use the website. Any other questions, please direct them to the school office.
- 12-01-2021 - Mr BriggsHi Amber I will look into your mathletics password today. Please can you check you are only using capital letters where you need them.
- 08-01-2021 - AmberHi Mr Briggs my mathematics is not working
- 02-01-2021 - AmberMr Briggs are you doing today And how are your family doing
- 19-12-2020 - JessicaHi
- 10-12-2020 - Amira Rahman Hi mister Briggs can I bring in a present for Tallulah tomorrow cuz it’s her birthday on Sunday.
- 15-11-2020 - AmberHi Everyone how are you doing today
- 26-10-2020 - AmberHi Mr Briggs
- 22-10-2020 - Mr BriggsHi Elena, Glad to hear you are feeling better. Hope you enjoyed getting your cards from everyone.
- 19-10-2020 - ElenaI went litter picking again yesterday