Where did our school come from?
From the Irish Potato famine in 1840 - Irish immigration to Leeds gathered pace and many Irish Catholics settled in Leeds. In 1890 – Sacred Heart parish was founded by provost of Leeds Cathedral called Browne. He bought a cottage on the corner of Poplar street and Burley road. Later Jesuits took over and built a church on the site of the old cottage which became the church of the local area, Sacred Heart Church. A small primary school was built to the rear of the church.
In the 1960s, Poplar street, Sacred Heart Church and the school were all demolished. The school was re built in its current location and a new Sacred Heart church was built in the Hyde Park area of Leeds. In the 1990s the diocese sold the Sacred Heart church and it became Leeds Grand Mosque.
The original Sacred Heart Parish Church
The parish of the Sacred Heart was established in 1890 to meet the needs of the local population – many were poor and in need of:
First Browne and then the Jesuits were inspired by the Sacred Heart to attempt to meet the needs of the local Catholic population.
The Sacred Heart church is gone – the school lives on and is still to this day inspired to help the community by those values that created it in 1890.
We are Sacred Heart Catholic Primary School
We are inspired by the love of the heart of Jesus to share these values:
God loves each and every one of us – we are called to love one another.
Jesus will give peace to all – we are called to spread peace.
Jesus will be there to comfort us – we are called to comfort others.
Jesus shows mercy – we are called to show mercy and forgiveness to others.
What does the Symbol of the Sacred Heart represent?
Jesus’ Sacred Heart represents the divine love he shares with the Father and the Holy Spirit and the love he has for us.
It also represents his physical human heart, the word made flesh through the Incarnation.
Wound & Blood: the piercing of Jesus’ side during his crucifixion, his precious blood spilled for our redemption